Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ode to Sweet Shredded Pork



“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach . . .”
(Elizabeth Barrett Browining, "How Do I Love Thee")

I thought about writing my own spin on Barrett Browning’s lovely poem to express my adoration for sweet pork, but quickly reconsidered. Instead I will list why I am in love with it.

1. It’s one of those throw-it-in-the-crock-pot-and-forget-about-it for 12 hours meals. Who doesn’t love that? It turns out wonderfully tender and if you have time to leave it in the crock-pot longer, some pieces get a little crispy. So good!

2. The meat stretches a bit. That’s not what I meant. You can get several meals from one recipe of sweet pork. If you’re making tostadas, use about 1/3 cup of meat for each serving. Layer tortillas, meat, rice, beans, cheese, lettuce, and dressing.

3. It freezes and reheats very nicely so you can have quick, delicious meals later. I put family size servings in freezer bags, push all the air out, flatten, label, and stack like bricks in the freezer. You can reheat the pork in the oven, stove top, or microwave.

4. It’s pretty versatile. I’ve made pork tacos with those delicious cook at home tortillas. I’ve also made pork tostadas with sweet pork layering crisp corn tortillas, meat, black beans, rice, cheese, lettuce, pico de gallo, cotija cheese, tomatillo ranch dressing and lime wedges. I think it would also make a really good pulled pork sandwich, served hot on a toasted Kaiser bun.


Here's the recipe.  Enjoy!


Sweet Shredded Pork
3 pounds Boston Butt pork roast (what kind of name is that, anyway?)
2-5 cloves garlic, minced (depending on how much you like garlic)
1 ½ cups Coke
¾ cup ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
Juice from 2 limes

Place pork roast in the crock-pot. Spread garlic on top of roast, and pour Coke on top. Cook it on low for 6-8 hours. Boston Butt’s are pretty fatty, so you will have lots of liquid in the crock-pot after 6-8 hours of cooking. Drain as much liquid off as possible, then shred the meat with two forks. Add the remaining ingredients, stir through and simmer on low until ready to serve. If making tostadas, serve them with any or all of the following: crisp corn tortillas, meat, steamed rice, black beans, cheese, shredded romaine lettuce, pico de gallo, cotija cheese, cilantro, sour cream, lime wedges, tomatillo ranch dressing (recipe here).

Printable version of Sweet Shredded Pork

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers