Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Blueberry Muffins


 

I found a recipe from “The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook” for blueberry muffins that I really couldn’t resist trying. The muffins have vanilla yogurt in them instead of melted butter or lots of oil, making them a little more calorie friendly.

They also have whole wheat flour and freshly squeezed orange juice, which I replaced with fresh lemon juice. My grandmother lives in Arizona and has lemon, orange and grapefruit trees. She recently sent my parents home with loads of citrus to share with us. Sadly, the oranges are gone, but I still had a few lemons so I used one and added a little more sugar.

The muffins turned out soft and delicious. This will be a recipe I will use again and again.

Blueberry Muffins
recipe from "The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook"

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of vanilla low fat yogurt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (divided)
1 tbsp sugar

Preheat the oven to 400.  Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; set aside. In a separate bowl, combine orange juice, oil, vanilla, yogurt and egg; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moist. Gently fold in 1 cup of blueberries

Spoon batter into muffin tin. Divide the remaining ½ cup of blueberries between the muffins; sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar evenly over the muffins.  Bake 17-19 minutes Remove muffins from the pan immediately and place on a wire rack to cool.

2 comments:

  1. I tried this today and they were tasty. Thanks for a good, healthy recipe. I will try to use yogurt in other muffin recipes. Thanks, Jean!

    ReplyDelete

Followers