Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Enchiladas Verdes


Nothing disgusts me more than canned enchilada sauce. Alright, there are myriads of things that disgust me more, but red enchilada sauce is offensive. Possibly it’s the spice concoction that disgusts me; maybe it’s because I’ve never cooked enchiladas successfully and canned red sauce has been an ingredient in all my attempts. In any case, I almost gave up on enchiladas, but then Gema came into my life. Rather, I found her recipe on all recipes, but I felt like she walked right into my kitchen and waived a magic wand over my dinner table. The enchiladas were that good.

Her spicy green sauce made from charred Serrano peppers and tomatillos was delicious, resulting in my first-ever successful enchilada dinner. I used some left over filling I made and froze a few weeks earlier from a stuffed Pasilla pepper dinner, but Gema recommends using meat from a store bought rotisserie chicken. She also recommended using Mexican crema fresca instead of sour cream, but sour cream was on sale at Smith’s and that’s what I used. Here’s to you, Gema!

Enchiladas Verdes
recipe from Gema
printable version of this recipe

2 cloves garlic, skin removed
3 Serrano peppers
1 pound small tomatillos, husks removed
½ store-bought rotisserie chicken, shredded
½ cup oil
9 corn tortillas
3 cups water
4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
Iceberg lettuce, shredded
Cilantro leaves
Mexican crema fresca (found by cheeses at Smith’s)
Cotija cheese, grated (I used cheddar)

Place a large skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot, add garlic, peppers and tomatillos. Cook until charred and blackened on all sides, turning occasionally. The garlic cooks quickest, taking about 5 minutes, and the tomatillos take the longest, about 15 minutes. When garlic, peppers and tomatillos are blackened, remove from skillet and allow them to cool.

Prepare chicken by removing bones and shredding or chopping finely; keep warm in a warm oven.
Heat ½ cup oil in a deep skillet to 350 degrees. Fry tortillas individually turning once with kitchen tongs. They shouldn’t be in the oil for more than 15 seconds per side. Remove excess oil with paper towels and keep them warm in an oven. The hotter the oil, the less the tortillas will absorb.

Puree the garlic, peppers and tomatillos in a blender with water and bouillon granules. Blend until smooth. Pour mixture into a skillet over medium heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.

Soak tortillas, one at a time, in sauce until pliable, fill them with shredded chicken, a spoonful of sauce and shredded cheese. Roll and place seam side down on a serving plate. Spoon a generous amount of sauce over rolls and top with cilantro, crema and cheese. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Followers