Thursday, January 21, 2010

Indian Fry Bread



I made Navajo tacos for dinner last night. I considered using Rhode’s roll dough for the scone, but then remembered about Indian fry bread and decided to give it a shot instead. I vaguely recall my brother bringing a fry bread recipe home from his Navajo elementary school teacher, but I’m pretty sure my mom has the recipe and she was travelling when I made the fry bread. I found a recipe here and loved it. The Rhode’s roll dough would have tasted good, but I really liked the thought of using fry bread. It turned out to be delicious.

Indian Fry Bread
recipe found here
printable version of this recipe

2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons powdered milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup water
Vegetable oil for frying
Mix dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl. Add water all at once and stir with a fork. Using floured hands, mix until the flour is pretty well incorporated. Mix well, but do not knead. The dough will be sticky inside and well floured outside.

Cut the dough into 8 pieces. Stretch and pat dough until it’s about 5 to7 inches in diameter. Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil to 350 in a skillet; when oil is hot, gently place dough in the skillet and fry until golden on both sides. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven until serving.

Navajo Tacos
1 pound ground beef
½ cup diced onion
8 cooked Indian fry breads
2 cups shredded cheese
1 head shredded lettuce
3 diced tomatoes
Sour cream

Cook ground beef and onions together until meat is brown and onions are soft. Layer the following: fry bread, meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers