Friday, April 30, 2010

Whole Wheat Waffles-Soooo Good!


My mom and dad gave me a grain mill for my birthday last year and I have to say that I am in love it! It’s wonderful! I really like that I can adjust the coarseness of the grinder so the grain being milled is course enough for cracked wheat cereal or fine enough for bread flour. It means I can have freshly ground grains whenever I want. It also enables me to rotate through food storage when I need to.


My parents also compiled a spiral bound book for each of their children teaching emergency preparedness basics—like how to use food storage, how to plant a garden, etc. The book contains a really, really good whole wheat waffle recipe that they received in an emergency preparedness manual in Rexburg, Idaho shortly after the Teton Dam broke.

Whole Wheat Waffles
recipe from the Rexburg Flood Manual
printable version of this recipe

1 cup sifted whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 ¼ cups milk
¼ cup oil

Sift dry ingredients together. Add egg yolks and milk gradually, beating on low speed. Add oil. Batter will be very thin. Beat hard for 2 minutes. Fold in beaten egg whites. Bake in preheated waffle iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers