Thursday, May 6, 2010

Banana Pancakes


I’m heading north with my family to participate in Boise’s 2010 Race for the Cure with my mother-in-law, a breast cancer survivor. She has been in remission (for the second time) almost eight years now—a blessing from heaven. We all feel so fortunate that she stayed around, especially to welcome grandchildren to her family.

I made these pancakes for the kids this morning. I should say I made them for myself and shared them with the kids. They reminded me of hot banana bread (in a pancake sort of way) slathered with butter and doused in warm maple syrup. They were delicious! It was a good way to use up over-ripe bananas and whole wheat flour, too.

Banana Pancakes
recipe from For the Love of Cooking
recipe slightly adapted by Homemade Deliciousness
printable version of this recipe

½ cup wheat flour
½ cup white flour (I used all wheat flour)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
¾ cup vanilla fat free yogurt
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, beaten
1 large banana, mashed

Whisk flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, and banana. Add flour mixture to yogurt mixture and stir until smooth.

Pour ¼ cup pancake batter per pancake on a hot non-stick griddle or skillet. Cook until lightly browned on both sides. Serve with butter, warm maple syrup, and sliced bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers