Monday, May 10, 2010

Strawberry Muffins


We really enjoyed ourselves over the weekend in Boise. We visited friends and family and I got to participate in my first Race for the Cure. My mother-in-law, who was diagnosed with breast cancer 10 years ago, along with her daughter, granddaughter, and I, walked in Saturday’s event. It was a sight to behold. Not our walking, but the masses of people who congregated to support the fight against breast cancer. We were over fifteen thousand strong. It was really neat. As you can imagine, I spent most of today unpacking, folding clothes, and cleaning out the car (and the house). It’s late, so I’ll keep the post brief. 

I really needed to use up some strawberries before a chemical reaction transformed them into something else in my refrigerator. I had plain yogurt and wheat flour (thanks to my handy grain mill) on hand, so I made these quick, low fat muffins.

Strawberry Muffins
recipe from Stonyfield yogurt
printable version of this recipe
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup wheat flour
½ cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup Stonyfield low fat plain yogurt
¼ cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped strawberries
Cinnamon sugar (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375°. Grease or line 12 muffin tins.

In a large bowl, sift together flours, sugar, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, stir eggs, yogurt, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Toss strawberries into flour mixture. Using a spoon, make a well in the center of the mixing bowl (the one containing the flour and strawberries). Pour the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. The batter will be lumpy.

Spoon the batter into muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Remove muffins from oven and dust with cinnamon sugar, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. I tried these today; they were delicious! The little bites of strawberries gave a huge flavor burst to a nice, healthy muffin.

    ReplyDelete

Followers