Monday, June 21, 2010

Lemon Bundt Cake


I’m finished with the South Beach Diet. Finished. While that’s not a celebratory statement, it’s something I can live with. It’s an “I quit two days in” statement, which taught me (again) that phase 1 just isn’t something I can live with. Phase 2 and 3 are alright, but I can’t survive with the limitations of phase 1. I need more variety including fruit and occasional simple carbohydrates.

This cake was so good, especially after sacrificing carbohydrates for a few days. I waited and made it a week after adding complex carbohydrates back into my diet. It was worth the wait. The ribbon of sweet cream cheese along with the moist lemon cake was delicious. Add berries and sweetened whipped cream for a heavenly dessert.

Lemon Bundt Cake
recipe from Carolyn Hurst
printable version of this recipe

Cake:
1 lemon cake mix
1 8-ounce package low fat cream cheese, softened
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 egg

Glaze:
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350.

Prepare cake mix according to package instructions. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Pour half of the cake batter into prepared bundt pan.

Combine softened cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg; mix until smooth. Pour or spread cream cheese mixture on top of cake batter, then pour or spread the remaining half of the cake batter on top of the cream cheese mixture. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

For the glaze, mix powdered sugar and milk together until smooth. Drizzle glaze over top of the cooled cake. Serve with berries and sweetened whipped cream if desired. Store left over caked covered in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers