Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Chocolate Cookies with Peanut Butter Chips


It's true. I've been home for three whole days now and this is my first post of the week. It seems I've gotten out of the habit of photographing and posting recipes, but I guess it's a habit that was bound to be broken while visiting a land without internet.

I made some delicious burritos last night that would have been a lovely addition to my little blog here, only I thought about it half way through dinner when my burrito was nearly gone. I tried to take a picture of my husband's food, but he protested so vehemently I stopped trying. He was right. A photograph of the remaining food on his plate wasn't a good idea. I'll wait until I make the burritos again to post the recipe.

So my post today will be another cookie recipe. You can never have too many cookie recipes. This one was on the back of a bag of Reese’s peanut butter chips. I've made them before, but I forgot how good they are. I rolled them in granulated sugar before baking, mostly because My Kitchen Cafe's peanut butter cookies were so divine and they too were rolled in granulated sugar. I think a little more chocolaty taste could have been in order. Maybe next time I'll make them with more cocoa, halve the peanut butter chips volume and replace them with chocolate chips.

Chocolate Cookies with Peanut Butter Chips
recipe from Hershey's Kitchen
printable version of this recipe

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar + ½ cup for rolling
¾ cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cocoa
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 10-ounce package peanut butter chips

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Pour ½ cup granulated sugar on a plate and set aside.

Combine butter and sugars together; mix until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla; mix well.

Stir flour, cocoa, salt and soda together. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix until well blended. Resist the urge to add more flour than necessary. I live at high altitude and added ½ cup more flour than the recipe called for. The dough was still sticky, but the cookies turned out leavened and soft. I wouldn’t add more than ½ cup extra flour. Stir in peanut butter chips. Cover with foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Drop rounded spoonfuls of cookie dough onto the sugar plate. Roll until dough is covered with sugar. Place dough onto a lightly greased cookie sheet, flatten slightly. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool slightly, move to wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers