Friday, December 18, 2009

Hoagie Rolls



I realize the majority of my December posts are not remotely holiday-ish recipes, this one included, but I can’t help myself. Maybe next week I’ll get my Christmas on.

Last night* I decided to use left over sweet pork to make the sandwiches but I didn't have rolls, so rather than hastily running to the grocery store to buy some, where I would probably buy a whole lot more than I needed, I made my own. Well, they were heaven in a tiny loaf of bread—so soft and delicious. They were the perfect solution to my no roll quandary, and the perfect bready jacket for the sweet pork.  I wish Santa would bring me a warm summer picnic, but until then a pulled pork sandwich will do.

* I should say I decided in the early afternoon, otherwise I wouldn’t have had enough time to make these little gems in time for dinner.

Hoagie Rolls
from Taste of Home
Printable version of this recipe

2 tablespoons dry active yeast
3 cups warm water, divided
2 tablespoons sugar, divided
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon salt
8 cups all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in ½ cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes, or until frothy. Add the remaining warm water and sugar. Beat in oil, salt and 4 cups of flour until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a smooth, soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Punch dough down, turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18 pieces. Shape each into an oval about 5 inches long and 1 ½ inches wide. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. With a really sharp knife, make a cut across the top of each loaf. (I was excited about this part and made 3 cuts across each loaf.) Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.  Bake at 400 for 13-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.


2 comments:

  1. Jean, you never mentioned that you had a food blog, nor did I even know that you really like to cook, I guess that I better get to know you better. I'll keep an eye on here, I need to be better at making food from scratch instead of buying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Tiff. Thanks for the comment. I don't always plan ahead so I have freshly baked bread for sandwiches, but I had a lot of time on my hands yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Followers