Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Pomegranate Bagels



I considered omitting this post altogether, but it's important to record my failures, which happen more than I'd like to admit. It is important, right? I'm pretty sad it happened with the pomegranate juice, though.

Homemade bagels were more difficult than I thought they would be. In fact, they were darn right tricky. And while I love bagels a whole, whole lot, I don't love making them. They turned out pretty misshapen and hard as nails--not something I would consider a baking success. So, in short, Einstein's will continue to receive my business.

The bagel failure was my fault, not the recipe's. My kid was screaming bloody murder the entire time I was making them. While the bagels baked, she went upstairs to her room, destroying everything in her pathway. So, I put her down for a nap, which of course solved her problem, but it destroyed the bagels. I forgot all about them and they over baked while I was consoling her. I should have put her down for a nap before my bagel experiment, but I just couldn't wait. I was excited at the prospect of making my very own homemade bagels, and with pomegranate juice, no less! Well, the outcome was disastrous. Next time I'll put the child to bed before experimenting with a tricky recipe. I hope anyone who still feels like making these is more successful than I was.

Pomegranate Bagels
recipe from "Better Homes and Gardens, 1996 edition, page 105

Printable version of this recipe

4 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 package dry active yeast
1 ½ cups warm pomegranate juice (120 to 130 degrees)
4 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups water

In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of flour and all of the yeast. Add the warm pomegranate juice, 3 tablespoons sugar, and all of the salt. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Scrape the bowl and stir in as much as the remaining flour as you can, being careful not to add too much—which is another thing I did wrong. The dough should pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl, but still be sticky. Knead until it is somewhat stiff, smooth, and elastic. Cover and let the dough rest 10 minutes. Grease a baking sheet.

Working quickly, divide dough into 12 portions; shape into smooth balls. With your finger, poke a hole through the center of the one dough ball. Gently pull the dough until the hole is 2 inches in diameter. Try to maintain a uniform shape. Place on the prepared sheet and continue with the remaining dough balls. Cover; let rise 20 minutes. (Start timing after first bagel is shaped.)

Broil bagels 5 inches from heat 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Bagels should not be brown. Meanwhile, bring 6 cups of water and the remaining tablespoon sugar to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer bagels, uncovered, 4 or 5 at a time, for 7 minutes, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Place drained bagels on a well greased baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until tops are slightly golden.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers